1910 - 1919 : when they were killing people in the streets.
by Josep Maria Huertas and Jaume Fabre.
Inauguration of the bust of Victor Balaguer, a statue by Manuel Fuxā, in the Ciutadella
Park, during the traditional poetry competition called "Jocs Florals".
Holding of the congress of workers that saw the birth of the arnarchist union
"Confederaciķ Nacional del Treball" (CNT).
- First flight in an aeroplane in Spain, at the Can Tunis racetrack.
- For the first time, a woman, Elena Dutrieu, flies an aircraft over Barcelona.
- Setting up of the "Mancomunitat Catalana", pending an official approval from
the Spanish government.
- Demonstration against the death penalty.
- Foundation of the "Barcelona Traction" - historically known as "La
Canadiense" - in Toronto.
- Failure of a general strike called in protest against the war in Morocco.
- Death of poet Joan Maragall.
- National service is declared compulsory because of the war in Morocco.
- The Barcelona Football Club wins the "Copa del Rey" (King's Cup) after beating
the Gimnāstica of Madrid in the final.
- Creation of the Pedralbes Golf Club.
- Assassination of the head of government José Canalejas.
- Inauguration of the railway line from Barcelona to Martorell (the famous
"carrilet" (small train) run by Ferrocarrils Catalans) and the Magōria station.
- The Institute of Catalan Studies establishes the spelling rules that will govern the
- Adriā Gual sets up the "Escola Catalana d'Art Dramātic" (Catalan School of
Dramatic Art), that will later develop into the "Institut del Teatre" (Theatre
- Foundation of the "Escola d'Oficis de la Dona", a school meant to provide
women with better occupational options.
- First Motor Show at the Turķ Prk.
- Workers go back to work after the Government's publication of a reduction in working
hours down to 60 hours a week in the Official Gazette.
- A new bullring, "El Sport", is erected in Barcelona. Two years later, after
some remodelling, it will be rechristened the "Monumental".
- Inauguration of the "Escola del Bosc", the first modern municipal school.
- Opening of the "Biblioteca de Catalunya" (Library of Catalonia), initially
located in the Generalitat building, then moved to new premises at the Santa Creu
- The Spanish workers who had been repatriated on account of the outbreak of the First
World War arrive at the "Estaciķ de Franįa".
- Start of a typhus epidemic caused by the contamination of water. It will eventually kill
2.000 people. The authorities decide to close off all the public drinking fountains
carrying water from Montcada.
- A hurricane strikes Barcelona, knocking down some chimneys,
fences and vehicles and causing a few casualties.
- Mayor Boladeres refuses to ratify the municipal agreement
allowing road traffic on Maundy Thursday and Good Friday. The Radicals and Regionalists
leave the City Council, in which they are in the majority, in protest at the Mayor's
- First Red Cross Flag Day, organized to help the soldiers
injured during the African War and the First World War.
- Opening of a museum on the Great War at Tibidabo.
- The parties involved in the 100-day long conflict affecting the building industry
finally reach an agreement.
- Great boxing match between Arthur Cravan and Joack Johnson at the new
- Inauguration of the first Flying School at the Volateria d'El Prat.
- Forestier designs the garden located in front of the future Parliament of Catalonia.
- Carreras Candi publishes "La Ciutat de Barcelona", the best book ever written
about the city of Barcelona.
- Heavy storms devastate the slum area of Somorrostro, making 150 people homeless.
- Santiago Rusiņol's play "L'auca del senyor Esteve" is performed for the first
time at the Victoria theatre.
- Meeting of the Catalan "Assemblea de Parlamentaris". It is interrupted on the
orders of the provincial governor.
- As a result of a general strike, 33 people are killed in Barcelona. Only two newspapers
are allowed to come out and Republican member of Parliament Marcelli Domingo is arrested
by the police. People walk in the streets holding a white handkerchief.
- Aviators Armangué and Manuel Hedilla are killed as their plane crashes at El Prat.
- Opening of the amusement park at the top of the Tibidabo hill.
- Assassination of industrialist Josep A. Barret, director of Barcelona's Industrial
School and armaments manufacturer.
- Women gather in an attempt to assault the provincial government house in protest against
the sharp increase in the cost of living.
- A state of war is proclaimed in Barcelona.
- First exhibition of Joan Mirķ's works.
- The "RCD Espanyol" wins the Catalan football championship.
- Horse races, interrupted since 1896, are resumed at the Can Tunis racetrack.
- For the first time, the official time is advanced by one hour in relation to real time.
Setting up of a new company, the "Companyia General de Ferrocarrils Catalans",
that takes over the management of the "carrilets" and railway lines from
Barcelona to Martorell, Igualada and Manresa.
First regular international flight between Barcelona and Toulouse.
First steps towards the implementation of the agreement on an eight-hour working day
that was reached after the strike at the Canadiense company. The measure still meets with
strong oposition from the employers.
Opening of the Ritz hotel, in the middle of a strike called by the hotel trade workers.
Two civil guards are beaten to death with a hammer.
- Holding of the first Congress on Tourism.